IT WAS sweaty and dark, there was a strong smell of sticky toffee popcorn and as I fumbled around trying to find my seat in the pitch-black cinema I remember realising my friend was playing a trick and had moved to a different row just for fun. I sat down and quietened my thumping heart.
We were 13 years old and watching the Days of Thunder. My only other memories of childhood films involves the trauma of being subjected to Watership Down or hearing the theme tune of Bonanza for the millionth time whilst sucking the life out of hard boiled sweets until my tongue hurt.
I’m SO much MORE excited to watch this generation of young children evolve (6+). Some of the messages they are being given are SO incredibly powerful in a good way. If you find the right ones to inspire happiness that is.
This week we had dancing feet, shining eyes and couldn’t stop laughing – joyful laughter, not nervous tittering at… DreamWorks animation, Trolls. Yes, I’m writing about a children’s movie – or am I?
Joyful, technicoloured imps v ugly morose ogres? Been listening to your inner dialogue recently? Anything ring a bell for you?
I still can’t decide if it was the joy of watching it with an enthralled six-year-old gently snuggling my arm, or if I was genuinely in love with the power of the messages:
- Emotional eating gets you nowhere (you can’t go around eating luminous clumps of joy and expect to feel happy long term).
- Expecting someone else to fulfil your emotional needs is destined to fail
- Personality and who you are deep down matters more than high heels and glitzy hair
- Love will always win when it comes from the right place
- Community spirit of No troll left behind
- Hugs on the hour are helpful but not enough to drive you forward in this world: you need to be taking action too
- Scrapbooking (aka vision boarding) is fabulous, creative and worthwhile and you must follow through
- Inauthenticity loses you a ton of friends. Ask Creek.
- Feeling blue (or in this case a dull brown), stuffing your feelings down and refusing to trust someone to hear you deeply leads to a life unlived, and often YOU are the one who is truly desired if you’d let the real you be seen (cue True Colours)
- Our parents show us how to lead, and there comes a time where you must lead them. It’s why they trained us so well!
- Sometimes, sad or angry people want to consume you. They can’t stand to see you happy when they’re not (you might also want to read this and this).
- Never give up
- Be proud of who you are
- If you value joy: sing, dance and hug
Of course you could choose to adopt the stance of a Bergen (the menacing unhappy creatures who want to eat the trolls). You could choose to complain that (might this be a form or projection?):
- The trolls are falsely happy and more like irritating talking ecstasy pills
- The trolls are blind to their lack of compassion for Branch (their only unhappy troll)
- The trolls think thir way of life is the best way to be and the Bergens’ way of living is misguided
- That it’s possible to survive in life just by singing, dancing and hugging since the trolls did very little to contribute to wider society. They only helped the Bergens to see past their blindspot to save themselves
- The Bergens have as much right to be in this world as trolls. Yes they do, but why choose misery?
Ultimately some of the messages are solid gold or rainbow coloured candy. You’ll be so wired after this you’ll think your Revels were tampered with before they melted in your hand.
I didn’t care so much for the troll farting sparkly dust and cupcakes but then toilet humour isn’t my thing, and if you only eat buns, then, you know…
I’ve got one last thing to say on this – Trolls put a smile on my face. It’s had my fiancé, Tilly and I dancing around for days. The soundtrack (yes it’s Justin Timberlake) is a floor filler, in our home. To tell you the truth we’ve been listening to it in the morning even when Tilly isn’t here because it brings happy memories and happy feelings. If you don’t want those then… you know, stick with the Bergens.
If you’re a gorgeous, fun loving, kind and sensitive woman who at times can be prone to an emotional dip go and see Trolls. Three of my clients have already hotfooted it to the cinema and it’s worked a treat for them!!
With happiness and joy comes confidence, and that’s why you’re here. Want to go deep and get your mojo back? Email me Sophia@sophialennox.com