Anxiety is not a lifestyle – at least it doesn’t have to be.
More and more I hear people say they’re feeling anxious. They’re anxious on a daily basis and they feel stuck in the past or worry about the future.
This is said as though there is NOTHING that can be done about it at all, ever.
I have no doubt that there are chronic cases of anxiety that make the world and life feel completely intolerable but was it ALWAYS like that? If that is you then please seek the help of a mental health professional because they can support you in the way that serves you best.
For those of us who are ‘busy’ and choosing to ‘worry on a daily basis’ – how did it start?
- Did it start off with a doubt that you weren’t good enough?
- Did it start with a concern that you were overweight or underweight?
- Did you miss out on a promotion?
- Did your partner write you a P45?
- Did you find out your partner was unfaithful?
- Did someone you love die?
- Did you get ill and slowly watch your confidence fade away?
- Did you go on a course and feel criticised?
- Did you spend your time thinking of all the things that weren’t working in your life?
- Did you COMPARE yourself to others until you believed they were all right and you were somehow deficient?
- Did you continue to eat ‘bad food’ and then wonder why life seemed beige at best and grey at worst?
Did you stop putting in any effort to find out who you truly are and instead watch others booking holidays, travelling the world, learning, developing skills, starting businesses and having the guts to be not so much different as TRUE to themselves?
What happened? Are you anxious now just reading this? Does it trigger a ‘I can’t help it you don’t understand me’ or an ‘Omg, I am totally CHOOSING anxiety by my thoughts and actions?‘ Perhaps it makes you mad because there’s a jolly good reason for your anxiety. I empathise. I do.
If you’re lucky enough to see that you have a CHOICE, USE IT.
- Stepping on the scales?
- Watching junk on TV?
- Reading negative press?
- Watching the news before bed? (you are talking to a former newsreader here so I know all about that)
- Hanging out with people who supposedly make you feel good because their standards are so low they boost you up?
- Drowning boredom and sorrows in wine, chocolate?
- Keeping BUSY so you never have to ‘face the life you’ve created’?
- Are you hiding who you are hoping no-one catches you out?
- Are you putting on a brave face and going with the flow, just because?
Ditch the toxic lifestyle and love who you are…What needs to happen?
- Read inspiring material / books / blogs
- Do what you love and if you have no idea keep doing things until you find what lights your spark
- Get outdoors and laugh in the rain or bathe in the sun
- Spend time in nature – not a quick march, TIME
- Get professional support if you’ve had enough of worry / stress
- Find natural remedies to support you – numbing the pain is only storing it up for later (think volcano)
- Find a way to express yourself – write, dance, sing, make music, write poetry, take photos, do yoga, make love, scrapbook, cook, paint, sew. Do what brings you home to your heart.
If you’re committed to feeling good about who you are, loving the life you’re in and progressing with confidence to where you want to be… go for it. Not later, not tomorrow, not I wish I’d done it yesterday. The moment you read this IS your chance.
I’ve become all too aware of the money excuses as to why you don’t transform/emerge… and here’s what I know – you pay for anxiety, stress, emotional pain, boredom/feeling lost by living with it and watching your life fall away. You pay for it by missing out on opportunities. Or you pay to get support and make lifestyle changes so that you have a life that brings you happiness.
Love who you are.
Do whatever you can from wherever you are with whatever you’ve got.
PS don’t wait for the volcano.
PPS – if you want me to help you get in touch. Feeling grounded, calm, happy, fulfilled, loving, on purpose, confident and alive are what I’m all about. If you’re struggling to get in touch then start with a free gift from me – 7 secrets to calm confidence.